If you own an iPhone and a Mac, chances are you’ve encountered the need to transfer your photos from your phone to your computer. Perhaps you want to edit your photos or videos on your Mac, or maybe you need to clear some space on your iPhone. Whatever the reason, there are several easy methods for transferring your photos and videos from your iPhone to your Mac.
One of the simplest and most straightforward ways is to use the built-in Photos app on your Mac. All you need to do is connect your iPhone to your Mac using a USB cable and open the Photos app. Your iPhone should appear as a device in the sidebar, and you can simply click on it to access your photos and videos. From there, you can select the ones you want to transfer and click the “Import Selected” button.
If you’re looking for more flexibility or want to avoid using a cable, there are several other methods you can try. You could use AirDrop to wirelessly transfer your photos and videos, or you could use a cloud-based service like iCloud or Google Photos. Additionally, there are third-party apps available that can help you transfer your files, such as Image Capture or Dropbox.
Regardless of which method you choose, transferring your photos and videos from your iPhone to your Mac should be a seamless and hassle-free process. Whether you use your Mac for editing, storage, or simply to free up space on your iPhone, there are plenty of options available to help you get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Before you transfer photos from your iPhone to a Mac
If you’re planning on transferring your photos from your iPhone to your Mac, it’s a good idea to declutter your Camera Roll beforehand. Deleting blurry photos, duplicates, and useless videos will not only help you save valuable digital storage space but also simplify the entire transfer process. While manually going through all your photos could take hours, there are several apps available to help you streamline the process.
One such app is Gemini Photos, which can quickly and easily clean up your photo library. Here’s how:
Step 1: Download Gemini Photos from the App Store.
Step 2: Open the app and scan your photo library. The home screen will categorize your photos into Similar, Duplicates, Videos, Screenshots, Notes, Blurred, and Others.
Step 3: Approve photos and videos to delete. For Similar photos, Gemini Photos will group all similar shots together, with the best option on top. You can keep the top result and move the rest to Trash or choose to Keep All if you don’t want to delete any of the photos in the series.
For Screenshots, Notes, and Blurred photos, simply tap Delete All to clear all selected photos. In Videos and Other categories, swipe up on the photos/videos you want to keep and swipe down on the ones you want to delete.
Step 4: Empty Trash. After browsing through your photos in each section and selecting the ones you want to delete, tap Empty Trash.
Step 5: Clear Recently Deleted Photos. Finally, head to your Photos app and open the Recently Deleted album. Tap Select > Delete All to delete your photos permanently and free up storage space.
By using an app like Gemini Photos, you can quickly and efficiently clean up your photo library before transferring your photos from your iPhone to your Mac. This will not only save you digital storage space but also time and frustration.
6 ways to transfer photos and videos from iPhone to Mac
If you are looking for ways to move your photos and videos from your iPhone to your Mac, you are in the right place. There are several methods to choose from, and the best one for you will depend on your preferences and needs. Below are the five ways to transfer photos and videos from iPhone to Mac.
1. How to move photos from iPhone to Mac using Finder
If you are running macOS Catalina (10.15) or later, you can easily sync your iPhone with your Mac using Finder. Here’s how to do it:
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac with a lightning-to-USB cable.
- Open Finder on your Mac.
- On the left sidebar, click on the name of your iPhone under Devices.
- Click Photos.
- Check the Sync Photos box.
- Choose the folder or app on your iPhone that you want to sync photos and videos.
- Choose whether you want to sync all of your photos and albums or only selected albums.
- Click Apply.
2. How to transfer photos from iPhone to Mac using Photos
Your photos and videos can be easily synced using the Photos app on both iOS and macOS. All you have to do is plug your iPhone into your Mac using a Lightning-to-USB cable. Here’s how to transfer photos from iPhone to Mac using the Photos app:
- Connect your iPhone to the Mac using a Lightning-to-USB cable.
- If you haven’t synced your photos using this method before, be sure to confirm that you are using a trusted device.
- If the Photos app doesn’t automatically load on your Mac, open it using Launchpad on your dock (the icon that looks like a rocket).
- Choose your iPhone from the menu on the left sidebar.
- Your photos and videos will appear on the screen. Click Import All New Items in the top-right corner. Or if you don’t want to import all of your photos, you can click on the photos that you want to import and click Import Selected.
3. How to sync photos and videos from iPhone to Mac using iCloud
Want to access your photos and videos from any Apple device? Automatically syncing your photos to iCloud makes this a breeze. When you sign up for iCloud, you are automatically allotted 5GB of free storage. Additional iCloud storage options start at $.99 a month for 50GB. Here’s how to set up iCloud photos so that your photos and videos sync automatically with your other Apple devices.
On your iPhone:
- Go to Settings and tap your name at the top of the screen.
- Tap iCloud to see all the apps that are using iCloud.
- Tap Photos.
- Toggle iCloud Photos to the on position.
On your Mac:
- Open the Photos app.
- Click Photos on the top menu bar.
- Toggle iCloud Photos to the on position. Provided that you have enough storage space, your photos will now sync automatically across devices
4. How to move photos from iPhone to Mac with Image Capture
The Image Capture app is a native app on your Mac. Using a Lightning-to-USB cable, you can quickly and easily download your photos to a folder of your choice using Image Capture:
- On your Mac, open Launchpad and search for Image Capture to open it.
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac with a USB cable.
- Under Devices on the sidebar, click your iPhone.
- Your photos will appear on the screen.
- At the bottom of your screen, choose the folders where you want to import your photos.
- Click Import All (or select the individual photos you want to import) and click Import.